Saturday 3 September 2011

Emotional Set Points

I've been reading Ask and It is Given, Learning to Manifest Your Desires, by Esther & Jerry Hicks.  In this book they introduce the term 'emotional set points.'

However, when I read stuff (a technical psychological term) like this, I tend to experiment and see what works or what does not work.  I do not take things on blind faith.  I am a Virgo.

I like the term as it gives me a method of processing a few areas I want to shift in my own life.  I can only explain this term from my own perspective, which may not be the way it was meant in the book.  I would interpret this phrase as my 'favorite miserable feelings.'

As children, we do not have the psychological filters, or self defense mechanisms, to defend our subconscious minds, that we tend to develop through time as we mature. We often learn abandonment, insecurity, rejection, fear, helplessness and the self defense mechanisms to keep these feelings away from us.  Externally imposed factors can teach us how to resist.  We feel resistance because it does not resonate with our own inner truth.

We learn certain patterns or habits of responding to certain situations.  And then, we tend to repeat this 'focused thought' or as explained in the book, a set point is 'achieved simply by attention to a subject,' in other words, a 'practised thought.' And these patterns of thought forms can become unconscious through the passage of time and space.

I understand the idea of learning something new.  I know the first time I try something new, I will be incompetent with the new skill.  For example, learning to ride a bike...first I fell off, a few times.  I ended up with severe gravel burn.  It was very painful to get the gravel out, far more painful than the actual wiping out.  Then, in the learning process, I move to being more conscious, a bit more competent.  After more practise, then I can wobble down the hill without falling off, and actually stay on the bicycle.  In a while, after more practise, I can become consciously competent, and can ride long distances, and fly down mountain sides, and actually enjoy the fabulous speed.

I had to learn to pay attention to what I was doing.

Similarly, in life experiences, I can use this idea of an emotional set point to shift my consciousness. 

If we do not clear these learnings we can find ourselves repeating these patterns in our adult lives, and feeling very stuck.  These favorite miserable feelings can profoundly affect our relationships, our financial affairs, our careers, our relationship with Mother Earth, as we tend to unconsciously seek ways to resolve these emotions through repetition of the pattern, often with others who are seeking the same relief.

And those who know me have heard me say, 'Its not our feelings or needs that can get us into trouble, its how we are going about getting them fullfilled that can get us into trouble.'

Our feelings, our inner emotional guidance system is sacred.  In traditional societies, children were sacred.  In some First Nations cultures, adults were not allowed to scare children.  It was said their Soul might flee.  We can reclaim our sacredness by re-parenting ourselves, through finding ways of honoring the sacredness within ourselves.

One way is to notice what we are feeling in a given moment, to identify 'where am I at?'  Is it a favorite miserable feeling?  Then to identify 'where do I want to be?'  Then choose a different level of thought forms or action that can begin to move us toward where we want to be functioning from.  This take practise, just like learning to walk, like learning to ride a bicycle.  Personally, I need to bring it right into my body, through walking or meditation.  I need to do some kind of action.

There are many techniques that can be used to clear, to heal ourselves.  Dream boards, collages, writing are a few methods to allow our visualization skills to grow and to explore How do I want to Be.  Body work can clear memories at a cellular level.  There are many kinds of support groups to do our talking work in.  Natural essences, fragrances and essential oils can also help in our healing. 

Explore, find the format that works for your own Sacred Self.

No comments:

Post a Comment